Following World War II Tottenham Court Road became the main location for the sale of surplus and reconditioned radios and electronics equipment. Shops such as Proops Brothers and Smiths Radios flourished during the 1950-60s which led to the proliferation of electronics retail outlets, a trend which continued well into the 2010s. However the advent of e-commerce, tighter profit margins on electronic goods and the ever increasing rents on Tottenham Court Road have seen the demise of all but a handful of shops selling TVs, computers, radios and the like replaced with high class fashion and leisure.
At The Avenue, which fronts Tottenham Court Road, our architects have captured the memory of this disappearing heritage with subtle and varied references to different aspects of the industry. From the external public artwork to the internal signage, the design reflects this common theme, creating a cohesive narrative throughout that links the building to its historic context.
To celebrate this, and the building generally, Bennetts have produced a booklet all about the Avenue and the secrets it contains. To download a copy, click here.